Tuesday, March 17, 2009

MIFF

Since this has been a hot topic among my peers, I'm gonna talk about my experience in MIFF. I went to the interview in the very last minute. Luck is on my side as I was called by the staff that I got the job. Wondering about whether I got the job or not made me emo for 2 days. All of my friends got the call on wed, they call me on friday instead.

Went to the briefing a few days later, on the sat if I'm not mistaken. I was shocked to see only Daniel there. I expected a few more friends to appear. I'm in the same team as Daniel, as hall assistance. The organizers said that we are amongst the chosen ones, as this job is an uphill task and the hardest (I assume) among all other positions. I wasn't so pleased at first. No air-cond in the first few days.

The first day of work is really tiring. Before that, my man Daniel was promoted to become hall coordinator, which means he is my boss (haha). Glad to be working under him, he is a great and responsible leader. When I saw him, usually he is rushing around to solve problems. I was actually posted in hall 1m, but out in a blurr I was transferred to hall 2. My partner is Hsien Loong, a blurr + cool guy, as slumber as he may seem, he is a humourous guys. Among other guys that worked in the same building with me are Vernard, Jit Wei, Jones, Bobby, and Yew Sun.

The first 4 days are practically the same because it was construction and preparation again and again. Leg pains were unbearable. But the plus side is I'm beginning to like the job because of the growing friendship among our group. As stress and tiresome as it may seem, group members that are helping each other really eases this job.

The 5th day of work, the 1st day of exhibition, all of us are pretty nervous because we will be handling more problems, visitors are coming!!! Before I forgot, I along with Jit Wei and Vernard reach early to become usherers. I was happy to tag along because it seems that you have to be good-looking to become usherers. My name is mentioned not because I'm good-looking (sob), it's because my slightly better command of english (band 5). The 2 other guys are quite good-looking.

My dreams are broken when I saw Mok Wai Kit there. It seems like the good-looking quality that the organizers are finding met a dead end. I let out a sigh of despair. Not even a single chick is pretty or my taste. But there are 2 other guys that are really good-looking (jealous-nya). Handling bosses around the world is not easy. You have to jaga their face. Nothing worth mentioning there.

And yays!! I was positioned at the information counter. Another sad case, it has to be me instead of some pretty lass. The other building has 'pretty chicks' that are posted in the information counter. Means that I will not be needed to walk alot. But I really change shift among group members, just to let them rest. The organizers did a poor job in giving information to me. I was constantly bombarded with questions that I didn't know, I actually have to find information myself by 'stealing' guide books.

A lot of problems arises even on the 1st day. Hundreds of complains from the exhibitors. I was really frustrated when someone uses harsh words on me. Unaware of tragedies that are going to happen, the group tried to keep everyone happy. Heavy rain outside didn't help my mood. Thunder keep roaring as if it's trying to signal something. Until about 5pm.....

Really really interesting event next, I need to get a rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment